Monday 18 August 2008

A trip down memory lane - for those old enough to remember!

It was, of course, Sister Agnes’ birthday on Saturday and she and Father P had decided sometime ago to stay at the Dunblane Hydro. As it’s only a short drive from me, so it made sense for me to see them over the weekend. They came down to Glasgow on Saturday morning and we headed into town. No sign of the torrential rain that was forecast and it did remain sunny and dry all day. Lunch was suppost to be with Mairead in Wetherspoon’s but having twisted her ankle the night before, Mai didn’t feel like venturing out so we ended up in Zizzi’s instead. As the parents left, I headed out to The Solid for a few drinks as usual.

Sunday was nice with me taking an early morning drive to Dunblane. Once in the car, we headed off to Newburgh – somewhere I haven’t been for 33 years! It was something I have meant to do, but somehow, I just didn’t ever get round to it. I didn’t remember anything, unsurprisingly, but we did see the old house (called "St Helens"), the hole in the hedge where Neil used to go through to visit Flora and, of course, the railway line. From there we headed to Perth Royal Infirmary to see where I was born all those years ago. Sister Agnes did note the lack of a Blue Plaque on the wall of the building but as I did point out: firstly you have to be dead, and secondly, I think Ewan McGregor will get the plaque at PRI before any of our family do!

There were some pictures taken over the weekend, so I’m sure I’ll post one or two on here when I get them from Father P or Sister A.

Happy Monday!!

No comments: